Re: [ARSCLIST] Non-RIAA preamp (was: WHY save as WAV's when Mp3's can do???)

Well, then it appears you agree with me. That's how I do it, and I wrote
earlier in the exchange:

>> Yes. Some people believe that computer based de-clickers operate best this
>> way, i.e. with no high end roll-off until after the de-clicking process.

Someone else said de-clicking is a special case, and you've quoted my
response below.

on 8/27/06 11:48 AM US/Central, Charles Lawson at clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> Parker Dinkins wrote:
>> However, there's nothing special about
>> needing to de-click a phonograph record.
>
> I strongly disagree.  All the declicking algorithms that I have used
> (about a dozen or so) perform MUCH better with flat transfers than RIAA'd
> ones.  It stands to reason.  Clicks have a much higher-frequency-weighted
> spectrum.  If you roll off the high end severely (as RIAA and similar
> curves do), you rob the algorithm of its most important information for
> detecting clicks.  The results generally reflect this.
>
> If your goal is to declick and not merely transfer, flat preamps are all
> but essential.  If you just want to listen to an LP warts and all, then
> your ears will tell you what sounds best.
>
> Chas.
>
> --
> Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet

---
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation
CD Mastering + Audio Restoration