To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 12:55 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Not using headphones

On Saturday 26 August 2006 23.00, steven c wrote:
Far as I'm concerned (and I'm a musician as well) the only way to
record is "live off the floor" (separate tracks allowed, but NO isolation
of players!) which allows interaction between/among the players (a
vital part of the band's "sound!").

Using separate and isolated tracks for each musician not only
disallows any interaction...it also drags out recording sessions,
as the players inevitably react with "Wait a minute! Let me cut
another attempt...I think I can play it better!).

Keep in mind that most of the classic 78-era recordings were
made using a single mike, with no isolation of players...

Take a good look at pictures of EMI studio recordings of, say, the Joe Loss orchestra in the 1970s. Trombones are situated back of the trumpets on a riser; trombones have one mic, the trumpets have another mic. The reeds are separated by some distance and have their own section mic. The drum set is between them and looks to have a single Coles 4038 above it. Very minimal microphones, and they are set at a proper distance from each section, so as to get the ensemble sound.

Thing is this: as always, the more open mics you have the more 'noise' gets
recorded. If you have a 20 piece band and every instrument has its own mic
plus a few more for the drums...room noise, etc, will be magnified
exponentially.

Were I to record a similar ensemble, I might (MIGHT) seriously consider stereo
mic'ing the brass, reeds, and drums with M-S arrangements (so that should the
stereo be a failure, I would still have a workable mono recording!), plus an
M-S overhead for the drums and a separate mic for the bass drum, as well as
one each for bass, guitar, and piano.

I still cringe at the memory of an LP I once had in the 70s, of the Glenn
Miller Orch directed by Buddy deFranco. Everything was close-miked and
absolutely flat and dead; worse, the brass instruments seemed to be played at
mezzo-piano...if that is a term. No "muscle" to it at all, as though someone
feared that playing at a proper loudness would blow their microphones.

Michael Shoshani
Chicago