Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

On 27/08/06, Michael Shoshani wrote:
> On Saturday 26 August 2006 08.15, Bob Olhsson wrote:
>
>> Technology interacts with performance and this seems mostly to be in
>> a negative fashion! The highlight of our project came when the A&R
>> person's girlfriend, an aspiring diva, showed up while we were
>> recording a really high profile artist. She was utterly distressed to
>> find we were recording without headphones or a click track. "It JUST
>> isn't done..."
>
> You should have told her that Sinatra NEVER used headphones, and in
> fact was uncomfortable singing without the entire orchestra with him,
> live, even into the 1970s.
>
> I expect the response would have been "Sinatra WHO?" :-)

However, even Sinatra had to be told that he recorded better if he stood
back from the microphone. This was after he had been doing a number of
club dates, where he had to hold the mic close to his mouth.

(See "Sessions with Sinatra").

Regards
--
Don Cox