Re: [ARSCLIST] Not using headphones

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

----- just to put modern recording in perspective, let me quote bits from a
fresh review of some fine Danish microphones:

 by Rich Tozzolo, Pro Sound News, August 2006

DPA 4090/91 instrument microphones

'Some brands carry with them a certain essence of quality. DPA is one of
those, with a loyal legion of worldwide users who rely on their mics to
deliver detailed reproductions of acoustic events. When the company recently
announced the release of a new line of omnis for under $1,000 ($599 each), I
just had to check them out.'

'The day they arrived I recorded guitarist/songwriter, Scott Moore, who
played Lowden 010C, Lowden L27FC and Collings OM1SS acoustics. These are fine
instruments, and I placed one 4090 on the soundhole/fretboard and another out
by the body. The cable was all Monster, and the preamp was a PreSonus ADL-600
straight to Pro Tools at 24-bit/48 kHz. Upon playback of the first pass, I
found the mics delivered the open, clear tones of the guitar-exactly what I
expected from a DPA. The term "very natural" comes to mind here, with a bit
of the expected room sound omnis provide.'

Further on, describing a slightly different setup, the following shows more
modern practices:

'Although I normally would not place a high-quality omni on a wickedly loud
guitar cabinet, it worked out great because the added top end meant less
overall EQ was needed to punch the sound through'

----- so as not to be accused of quoting out of context, you may read the
whole review (but nothing else) by going to:

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/Images/DM03266.pdf     (appr. 240kB)

----- for some reason the above makes me weep - thank God Django Reinhardt
died before they had to punch his sound through!

Kind regards,

George