Re: [ARSCLIST] Concertape SSS?

Thanks, everyone. If I ever get to play these back I will report.
They definitely look like good candidates or a bit o' the ole
baking action.

Thanks

Marcos

Quoting David Lennick <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> David Breneman wrote:
>
> > --- Marcos Sueiro Bal <mls2137@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I have come across a couple of backcoated Concertape 1800s
> (made
> > > for
> > > Radio Shack in the 1980s) that on visual inspection (letting
> it
> > > roll
> > > off the reel) seem to exhibit sticky-ness (I can't play them
> right
> > > now). I have not see much posted on this brand, and am
> curious
> > > about others' experiences with them; and, also, if you know
> who
> > > actually manufactured these tapes.
> >
> > My experience was that in later years it was almost
> > always made by Ampex.  The reels even had the three-color
> > three-digit Ampex hold-down tape, although the number
> > didn't correspond to anything in Ampex's catalog.  I
> > was later told by someone in the know that that number
> > represented "seconds".
>
> The stuff sold in the 80s was definitely identical to Shamrock
> (and sometimes
> Brentwood or Emerald or other similar brands) and had the same
> 3-color tabs.
> 031 was 1.5 mil, 041 was 1 mil, and the .5 mil stuff was either
> 051 or 061
> (don't have a reel handy to check). The numbers were the same
> whether it was
> back-coated or not, brown oxide or black.
>
> dl

Marcos Sueiro Bal
Audio/Moving Image Project Archivist/Surveyor
Preservation Division, Butler Library
Columbia University, 535 W 114th St
New York, NY 10027