Re: [ARSCLIST] Concertape SSS?

David Breneman wrote:

> --- Marcos Sueiro Bal <mls2137@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have come across a couple of backcoated Concertape 1800s (made
> > for
> > Radio Shack in the 1980s) that on visual inspection (letting it
> > roll
> > off the reel) seem to exhibit sticky-ness (I can't play them right
> > now). I have not see much posted on this brand, and am curious
> > about others' experiences with them; and, also, if you know who
> > actually manufactured these tapes.
>
> My experience was that in later years it was almost
> always made by Ampex.  The reels even had the three-color
> three-digit Ampex hold-down tape, although the number
> didn't correspond to anything in Ampex's catalog.  I
> was later told by someone in the know that that number
> represented "seconds".

The stuff sold in the 80s was definitely identical to Shamrock (and sometimes
Brentwood or Emerald or other similar brands) and had the same 3-color tabs.
031 was 1.5 mil, 041 was 1 mil, and the .5 mil stuff was either 051 or 061
(don't have a reel handy to check). The numbers were the same whether it was
back-coated or not, brown oxide or black.

dl