Re: [ARSCLIST] Concertape SSS?

--- Marcos Sueiro Bal <mls2137@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have come across a couple of backcoated Concertape 1800s (made
> for
> Radio Shack in the 1980s) that on visual inspection (letting it
> roll
> off the reel) seem to exhibit sticky-ness (I can't play them right
> now). I have not see much posted on this brand, and am curious
> about others' experiences with them; and, also, if you know who
> actually manufactured these tapes.

My experience was that in later years it was almost
always made by Ampex.  The reels even had the three-color
three-digit Ampex hold-down tape, although the number
didn't correspond to anything in Ampex's catalog.  I
was later told by someone in the know that that number
represented "seconds".

David Breneman         david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx