Re: [ARSCLIST] 5" discs more hardy than some think

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

on Wed, 9 Aug 2006 Joe_Iraci@xxxxxxxxx wrote

> I have tested a variety of CD-Rs (phthalocyanine, cyanine, azo) and DVD-Rs in
> terms of exposure to sunlight through a window and office fluorescent light.

----- Drago Kunej from Slovenia did the same for CD-Rs only and it was
reported in:

Kunej, Drago: "Instability and Vulnerability of CD-R Carriers to Sunlight",
Proceedings of AES 20th Int. Conf. 'Archiving, Restoration, and New
Methods of Recording', Eds. Z. Vajda, H. Pichler, Budapest 5-7 October 2001,
pp. 18-25.

----- please note that I have finally corrected the subject line of this
thread. This has something to do with my own retrieval - it is impossible to
find the content of the thread if one searches for "hardy" which is what was
meant, when "hearty" is what is logged. We would need a search engine built
to retrieve "sounds like", but they are not in common use. In the early 1980s
the Swedish company Skriptor (founded by the linguist Hans Karlgren) started
offering collision searches for trademarks based on the sound of the
trademark - a most relevant approach.

----- while I agree that XML is the most general approach to field definition
and retrieval that I know about, it is what you put into the fields that
counts, i.e. the way you think about your body of books, facts, records,
fingerprints, etc. I can very seriously recommend a book that deals with how
classification determines our thoughts:

Bowker, G.C. and Susan L. Star: "Sorting Things Out - Classification and Its
Consequences", MIT Press, Cambridge MA 2000 (PB). 326pp and 51 pp. of notes,
references, and index.

Kind regards,

George