Re: [ARSCLIST] 5" discs more hearty than some think

Tom Fine wrote:

Hey guys, is this a "guerilla" longevity test?

Well, this is "Guerilla Rod" with a reply from triple digit northern California (Redding where we've been breaking heat records) to Richard Hess's question as to the type of CDs I used. My employer, Family Theater Productions, gave me packs of 50 unlabled blanks, but they're identified in the center ring as "Mitsui Color Thermal".

Neato! I can say that the dirt-cheapo green-dye types don't stand up to a summer and winter in suburban NY, especially if the green side gets hit with sunlight. It was 105 degrees today (according to car thermometer) and had to be a good 10 degrees more in the car when I got in to drive home. Figured I'd test the media, so I played the commercially-manufactured disc in the drive. It played just fine. It was damn hot to the touch when I took it out at home! That factory-standard Delco CD player impressed me too. That's a lot of internal heat to deal with.

Along with the CDs, I've got reams of 10 1/2" reels of tape masters which also have stood up well in the extremes of our weather (also we have ice and snow in the winter). These types of media are more robust than we have a right to expect from my own experiences.

Rod Stephens

P.S. I have two boxes of Scotch tape (No. 131-24 Low Print and 111 Plastic All Purpose) with the photo of the studio musicians which I'll try to scan and make available in a few days. One's with a red wash and the other is green.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>