Re: [ARSCLIST] Beginner's question RE: digital recordings

At 09:07 PM 8/4/2006, Edward Falk wrote:
A friend of mine built a portable 6-channel
recording device based on the M-Audio Delta 66 and I was very impressed
with it, but thought the external breakout box was a real hassle.

I've always wanted to build my own, and you've gotten me one step closer.

(Although I always thought a USB or Firewire external box would be
sufficient to convert an ordinary laptop into a portable recording sytem.)

Ed,

For what it's worth, I bought a MOTU 828 MK II and I am rather happy with it both in the studio as an auxiliary tool and in the field with my laptop.

The things that makes it special are:

10 inputs, two with mic preamps (for the house pair)
You can use it for a stereo pair without anything or take Direct or Sub outputs
of my Mackie 1604 VLZ mixer to the other 8 inputs (or my Spirit Folio Notepad for smaller things)
Remote +4/-10 sofware-controlled switching
On-unit configuration memory (set up in advance, recall presets)
FireWire port to laptop (there is now a USB2.0 version available as well)
96/24 capable

What more can I say?

Cheers,

Richard