Re: [ARSCLIST] Beginner's question RE: digital recordings

Lisa NnNnNn wrote:
Hello David,

That is a very good point about having a higher quality sound card; until now, the card that I've been using was just the stock card that came with my laptop. I'm guessing that when the time comes, I will be doing this work on one of the museum's PC's, and I'm guessing that whatever kind of soundcards those have, they would probably be even worse. Can you recommend a decent quality sound card that I should add to my list when I'm writing up my budget?

I'd be very interested in the answer to that question myself.

I've heard good things about the M-Audio products, but I don't know if they make one that will connect to a laptop. I'm currently using a low-end Edirol USB box. It only does 44.1/16, so it's not exactly what you'd call high end, but for the 30-year-old tapes I'm working with, it's more than sufficient.

A few criteria: You want the A-D conversion to happen outside the computer, to avoid electrical noise. This means some sort of box on the end of a cable. I've heard that cheaper audio cards have only a single A-D converter which first samples one channel, then the other, back and forth. This is undesirable because it puts the two channels half a sample out of phase with each -- think of a slightly bad azimuth adjustment.

-ed falk