Re: [ARSCLIST] 5" discs more hearty than some think

Hey guys, is this a "guerilla" longevity test? Neato! I can say that the dirt-cheapo green-dye types don't stand up to a summer and winter in suburban NY, especially if the green side gets hit with sunlight. It was 105 degrees today (according to car thermometer) and had to be a good 10 degrees more in the car when I got in to drive home. Figured I'd test the media, so I played the commercially-manufactured disc in the drive. It played just fine. It was damn hot to the touch when I took it out at home! That factory-standard Delco CD player impressed me too. That's a lot of internal heat to deal with.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 1:23 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 5" discs more hearty than some think

At 10:29 AM 8/1/2006, Rod Stephens wrote:

I've had a series of about 200 CDs that I manufactured and stored in my garage for about two years. The temperature gets to be over 100 degrees in the summer in there. I just pulled them out and did spot checks on every five or ten of them in sequence (old radio shows). They all tested and played beautifully. Just a bit of personal experience.

Hi, Rod,

Could you please share with us the type of disc that you used for this?

I have had CDs in my car in both hot Southern California and now hot/humid AND cold Greater Toronto area. I made a set of about 120 and I have only seen a few failures. Those were in the non phthalocyanin dye discs. All of the MAM-A discs have survived nicely since 2001.

Cheers,

Richard