Re: [ARSCLIST] Community Radio

Actually, I haven't heard much in the way of "...old Verve or Blue Note
with contemporary production techniques..." among hit pop tunes...although
I would suppose it could be done, IF the tune was "fusion" (of soul and
jazz, actually) style...and IF they could get the rights to use the
original recording (for copyright reasons...remember every sound
recording ever made in the US is under copyright until 2067!)

Verve issued the recordings, so no problem with getting rights. It was their idea to repackage it for the dance crowd. Look up "verve remixed". That series brings in popular DJs to spice up hits and make them disco friendly. Mostly, it's adding a drum track.

As far as to what extent an A&R man can determine pop music...I
think the one requirement is that he has to be familiar with the
current tastes of the pop-music audience. John Hammond's "discoveries"
during his career were all artists who were basically playing current
pop music, but doing so better than most. People simply won't accept
music that is significantly different from what they are already
listening to...over the years and decades, popular music has
evolved fairly gradually rather than in a series of "jumps!"
Music which is too radically different (i.e. avant-garde jazz
and some of the more outre "serious" music" seems to sail right
over the heads of about 99% of the public!

Steven C. Barr

I agree, but it takes someone with some vision (and clout) to sign people like Bob Dylan. I remember the first time I heard Nirvana. It was pretty radically different than anything else on the radio. Two years later everything sounded like Nirvana. And most garage bands sound different from the next one. But most of those bands won't get polished enough to get a record contract.
Phillip