Re: [ARSCLIST] Community Radio

On 13/07/06, Angie Dickinson Mickle wrote:
> Having been a radio DJ some years ago, I've actually looked into
> starting an internet-only station, though with original music and
> content. (I miss "playing radio" as we used to call it.  I don't miss
> all the sales and management politics that went with it.)
>
> When I actually get around to doing this, I plan to use servers from
> this company. http://www.radiostreamer.com Their DRS 2006 automation
> software is quite good also and have considered it just for home use.
>
> For those interested in using commercial content, this site offers a
> licensing service for internet radio station.
> http://www.loudcity.net/Home/tabid/35/Default.aspx For the hobbiest,
> it seems pretty reasonable. The site also may have answers to some of
> the licensing questions that have been tossed around in this thread.
> I'm sure there are other services like this also.
>
> I also worried about the quality of internet streaming. Even
> commercial talk stations like WGN have problems with that whishing
> sound. Then I heard what a well encoded stream can sound like. I
> listen to this one often.
> http://www.sawstudio-media.com/radio/radio.htm He uses the DRS
>  servers and his own automation software.

The basic problem is that each listener is served with a stream
individually. There is a limit to how many bits a server can put out per
second.

When you are starting and get only half a dozen listeners at a time, a
good high bit rate is easy. Once the number of simultaeous listeners
gets up to a hundred or more, either servers have to be doubled up, or
the bit rate reduced.

The lower the bit rate, the worse the sound. Better encoding and
decoding can help slightly.

Regards
--
Don Cox