Re: [ARSCLIST] Community Radio

Don Cox wrote:
The basic problem is that each listener is served with a stream
individually. There is a limit to how many bits a server can put out per
second.

When you are starting and get only half a dozen listeners at a time, a
good high bit rate is easy. Once the number of simultaeous listeners
gets up to a hundred or more, either servers have to be doubled up, or
the bit rate reduced.

Well, I think WGN could well afford more servers. But they are talk radio. There really is no excuse for the bad sound of their webcasts as far as I'm concerned. A mono stream at a low rate should not sound that bad.

As far as the sound of SAW radio, it is a marketing tool for SAWStudio. Bob's going to make sure the sample rate and encoding are top notch. He would shut the thing down before lowering the sample rate because of high listenership.

Sure, commercial, community, internet, it all takes some amount of capital. The pricing structure for the DRS radio streamer seems unique to me. It is based on your chosen streaming sample rate and the number of listeners you expect at any one time. If your listenership goes up, you order more space. So you can test the waters with a very nice sample rate. Need to purchase more space? Follow a commercial radio model. Sell time or get sponsors.

> The lower the bit rate, the worse the sound. Better encoding and
> decoding can help slightly.

Yes lower bit rates can produce bad audio. Which bit rate you choose has a great deal to do with content, though. A mono stream can have a lower rate than a stereo stream without too many artifacts.

Encoding can have an impact even if a small one. I actually prefer the LAME encoder to BLADE when delivering MP3s. As far as Decoding, I hear a difference there too. I really love Telos Systems AudioActive MP3 Player and StreamPlayer. Both are extremely simple. None of the bells and whistle you'll find on others. Just a very nice sound.

Angie Dickinson Mickle
Avocado Productions
Arvada, CO
www.avocadoproductions.com

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.10.1/389 - Release Date: 7/14/2006