Re: [ARSCLIST] Cleaning moldy video tape

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Well, it wasn't tongue-in-cheek...I had no idea there were plastic (or,
more correctly, "organic-compound") eating fungi! And, yes, when the
oxide starts to fall/peel/otherwise loosen itself from the plastic
tape "body," that is what I meant by "un-binding." Am I reading
your post correctly in thinking that the "binder matrix" (which,
I assume, is the magnetic coating applied to the plastic tape)
is what these fungi "eat?" It's hard to imagine Earth's hydrocarbon-
based life forms being able to survive on that compound...but, OTOH,
if we could breed "plastic"-loving organisms, we'd solve one of
our biggest problems in waste disposal!

Then, again...that conjures of visions of mouldy 45's or LP's...not
to mention mouldy Corvettes...(t-i-c, BTW)

Steven C. Barr
(does this mean my audio tapes, including cassettes, can go "mouldy?"...)