Re: [ARSCLIST] Cleaning moldy video tape

Steven:

As Richard stated, the binder matrix (recording layer) is a mix of many
things.  In addition to the polymers (plastics), there are lubricants,
surfactants, abrasives, oligomers, numerous contaminants left over from the
manufacturing process and a potential "stew" of other components that the
manufacturers will not release.  The fungus does not actually eat the
"plastics" but, rather, the other components in the recording layer.

Unfortunately, this does mean that your audio tapes, including cassettes,
can develop mold if they are exposed to the wrong conditions.  In one job we
did we identified eight (8) different kinds of mold growing on a single
audio tape.

Let's hope that no one ever does breed effective "'plastic'-loving
organisms" to deal with "waste disposal" until someone else has already
developed effective "alternate" energy sources.  As plastics are made of
petrochemicals, any "plastic-loving" organism would likely be very happy
gobbling down oil.  I pay enough for gas as it is without some critter
eating up what is left!

Peter Brothers
President
SPECS BROS., LLC
(973)777-5055
www.specsbros.com

Restoration and Disaster Recovery Service Since 1983