Re: [ARSCLIST] Cleaning moldy video tape

Steven:

I'm not certain if this posting was tongue-in-cheek since VHS and Beta
videotape recording layers are a binder matrix containing ferric oxide
recording pigments similar to most reel-to-reel audio tapes.  Testing shows
that the fungus is indeed eating components in the binder matrix- no
external contaminant is required (except moisture).  Some of the most common
reactions caused by fungus can include serious chemical degradation of the
binder, inter-wrap adhesion, tape deformation and binder-base adhesion
failure (especially along the tape edges where exposure is most severe).  I
imagine this last effect could be called "un-binding" tape and oxide?

Peter Brothers
President
SPECS BROS., LLC
(973)777-5055
www.specsbros.com

Restoration and Disaster Recovery Service Since 1983