Re: [ARSCLIST] Disposition of those bluegrass tapes

Those little trailers suck. I've got the big 15' trailer and a little short tool trailer for my "day job". The 15' is a breeze, the little short trailer (like the u-haul) will jackknife if you shift your weight or pass gas. My business partner bent his tailgate bad with the tool trailer. The most I can move with my Chevy 1500 and the 15' trailer is 3 tons (the trailer is about 1,500lbs). Any more than 7,500lbs and the rear end sits too low. It makes your appreciate large collections and how they get to be a logistical nightmare. When I was younger I scoffed at the idea of selling your collection because you're moving.
BTW, you're okay with that old house. I've done work on houses of that vintage and the walls have 3-5 times the lumber of a modern house. Don't try that with some flimsy tract home.
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "steven c" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
An average shellac 78rpm disc weighs about eight ounces, more or less...so
a milk box full (120-135 78's) weighs in at 60-65 lbs. and 40,000 at
20,000 lbs. or ten tons! Wer hired a couple of amateur "movers" when I
moved the 40-odd miles from Toronto to Oshawa, Ont'o. and they showed up
with a five ton cube van. That had the ROOM for the records...but not the
load capacity! They had about 3/4 of the 78's on the van...which was, by
then, sitting suspiciously close to the ground...and realized two trips
would be necessary (or a larger truck!).

And I only have about a dozen Edisons!

However, I'm proving my house is well built (or was!). It was built
sometime between 1868 andr 1874...I have about 30% of the collection
in the first-floor parlour, and another 20% or so in various rooms
on the second floor...and not a sign of sagging!

When I moved the collection from Illinois to Canada (1976-77) it was
only about 2,000 78's (two kilorecords?), or about half a ton. I
actually bought an old half-ton pickup truck specifically to move
to Canada...made three trips, each time pulling a large U-Haul
trailer (never did learn how to back it up!)...and there are boxes
(no 78's) that haven't been unpacked since THAT move!

Note that the collection was accumulated as much for discographic
research as for listening pleasure...and, as well, includes several
thousand records I was given in "job lots" (couldn't argue with
the price of $0.00!)...