Re: [ARSCLIST] Disposition of those bluegrass tapes

At 6/27/2006 02:07 PM, Mike Richter wrote:
Interestingly, no one addressed the broader question: How does one who is not involved with ARSC find a repository for such material?

This is a growing for many communities. I've been calling it the "tapes in the basement problem." Here in Seattle, we have identified at least half a dozen separate substantial collections of folk music tapes that are sitting in various attics and basements, in need of both preservation and cataloging. Some are concerts or field recordings, but others are probably just dubs of some friends' record collections. Without a detailed survey, there's no way to know exactly what we have. And of course, there is no easy way to figure out who owns what rights -- performance, recording and composition -- to most of this stuff.

I'm sure there are plenty of other collections of jazz, classical music, radio transcriptions and oral history tapes facing the same problems.

It seems like there ought to be a local or regional institution who could take this stuff, but without a) staff, b) proper equipment and space to preserve the originals and make digital copies, and c) money to pay for a) and b), the tapes would just end up in some storage warehouse waiting for somebody to "do something with them."

John Ross