[ARSCLIST] Disposition of those bluegrass tapes

This exercise has been interesting, but let me begin with the conclusion. The tapes are en route (in plain manila envelope) to Michael Taft at the LoC.

There was no reason not to send them to the International Bluegrass Music Museum, except that they could only go to one place and I have a prejudice - not against the Kentucky museum but in favor of LoC. That's because a friend of mine was a librarian emeritus at LoC and helped me with a similar if more substantive situation a few years ago.

Back then, I had a set of tapes recording Maria Callas's master classes at Juilliard. They were supplied by John Ardoin, the author of the book on those classes, who had been given the dubs from Juilliard's masters to facilitiate the book and to use further as he chose. Another dub had gone to EMI who issued a four-LP set (later on four CDs) of fragments of the classes combined with some of Callas's commercial recordings of the music being discussed.

The EMI copies were to go to Callas's estate but vanished en route. The masters were safe at Juilliard, of course - until a musicologist friend sought access for academic reasons. He was told that they might still exist somewhere but had probably been lost in a cleanup and, regardless, could not be located. So the tapes I had were the only copies known to exist. With Ardoin's permission, I gave them to my librarian friend and they now repose in the LoC. I had made one set of audio CDs for a friend of John's and the CD-ROM which was in its third pressing (of 1000 each) when last I checked.

So more in respect to my late friend than because the International Museum was unworthy, the tapes are en route to LoC. Interestingly, no one addressed the broader question: How does one who is not involved with ARSC find a repository for such material? I suppose that the answer is: find someone who's in this group and ask here. At least, it worked for me. Now all that remains is to find out whether those ancient cassettes are still playable and whether the result was worth the effort.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/