Re: [ARSCLIST] Disposition of those bluegrass tapes

Just write me in your will, Uncle Steven. How much does 40,000 78s weigh? Would it take more than a 52' trailer? I remember helping a friend move a collection of at least 10,000 78s (lots of nice jazz--complete run of Blue Note and Prestige 78s). I filled the back of my mini truck and nearly lost control when I went around the first corner. I probably had twice the recommended load (but it sure didn't look like much when I was loading). I swore off moving 78s in a passenger vehicle after that. The next time I'm using my 15' trailer or better. I later helped the same guy close down his store--a sad day. We loaded one of those full size u-hauls with 25-35K records. In August. In Texas. I thought I was going to die. When I drive by the old place I start sweating.
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "steven c" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:33 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Disposition of those bluegrass tapes

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Ross" <johnross@xxxxxxxxxxx>
At  6/27/2006 02:07 PM, Mike Richter wrote:
>Interestingly, no one addressed the broader question: How does one
>who is not involved with ARSC find a repository for such material?

This is a growing for many communities. I've been calling it the
"tapes in the basement problem." Here in Seattle, we have identified
at least half a dozen separate substantial collections of folk music
tapes that are sitting in various attics and basements, in need of
both preservation and cataloging. Some are concerts or field
recordings, but others are probably just dubs of some friends' record
collections. Without a detailed survey, there's no way to know
exactly what we have. And of course, there is no easy way to figure
out who owns what rights -- performance, recording and composition -- to most of this stuff.

I'm sure there are plenty of other collections of jazz, classical
music, radio transcriptions and oral history tapes facing the same
problems.

It seems like there ought to be a local or regional institution who could take this stuff, but without a) staff, b) proper equipment and space to preserve the originals and make digital copies, and c) money to pay for a) and b), the tapes would just end up in some storage warehouse waiting for somebody to "do something with them."

Two thoughts...

First, the rights to the recordings would probably...at least in most
cases...
belong to the party who did the recording (this assumes they were on-scene
live recordings of musicians who weren't signed to a record label). If
the recordings are "bootleg" recordings of signed bands, any re-use would
require permission from both the artist(s) and the label(s) involved. Of
course, there would be more interest in the latter case (unless the
artist(s)
had gone on to later fame...which would also complicate the reuse
situation!).

Second, I agree with your analysis of the situation...and that an archive
for such recordings should be created posthaste. In fact, I have at least
a hundred or more tapes of my own blues band...I used to tape all our
performances for later critique, and saved almost all the cassettes. If
someone ever should want to research the musical history of Toronto &
district, these tapes would be a very useful research tool. However, I
suspect that when I finally ascend thegolden stairs to that great beer
joint in the sky, the mourners (I assume there might be at least one?)
will probably consign my half-vast cassette archive to whatever landfill
site or incinerator will be serving greater Oshawa by then (and the 40,000
78's as well? In fact, will analog music still exist?)...