Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

Dnjchi@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 6/20/2006 11:20:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rjhodge@xxxxxxx writes:

About Compression,

Does any one of this generation really know how uncompressed audio is
supposed to sound ? Years ago (!) I recorded high school concerts, orchestras, choirs, etc. as an avocation (LPs for sale). I still have those tapes. In spite of being of amateurs, they sound great! Plenty of HS gym ambience, too! BUT NO COMPRESSION! Of course, I had to ride gain sometimes, but very conservatively. Yes, I know how uncompressed audio is supposed to sound.
Don Chichester

There are some in every generation so benighted as to attend live, unamplified performances. They know how uncompressed audio sound, not merely how it is supposed to sound.

I, too, have recorded live performance, capturing ambience and honest sound.

As for commercial compression, I would gladly kill my page on the matter at
http://www.mindspring.com/~mrichter/
if there were a better one availabel - or better yet if the practice were not thriving.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/