Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

About Compression,

One of my long time complaints against overly compressed audio has been
from hearing both on FM and AM broacast, the active compressors
broadcasters use to make their signal " louder " in relation to each
other. To the point of being unlistenable....IMNSHO
Compression does helps AM get more volume for the RF power involved
without overmodulation.

I wonder if the record companies aren't trying to emulate what the
broadcast industry has given the public  for years ?
Does any one of this generation really know how uncompressed audio is
supposed to sound ? The phrases compressed and uncompressed are in this
case not related to digital processing.
Of course, take a music CD which already has too much compression to
it, and run it through a agressive  broadcast level compressor and I
don't see how AYTHING could sound acceptable !! All broadcasters aren't
guilty of this.

My 2 bits...

BH

>>> scottp@xxxxxxxxx 6/17/2006 1:03 PM >>>
It was the good cop / bad cop part of recording/mixing/mastering
before
CD's. There were so many technical restrictions placed on recordings
because of the limitations from multiple end uses/users of a recording
that everyone had to actually understand all the details. Phasing,
play
times, levels, and dynamic range had to be just right, and multiple
versions made for various media use. Remember different cutting levels
or low end that had to be different for songs on the outside vs. the
inside of an LP? I have great respect for Bob and/or any good
mastering
engineer and what they have had to contend with.

The learning curves were painful for everyone, myself included.
However,
I think that the forced discipline was a very good thing, listening to
clipped/compressed-to-death 'modern' CD's. I often wonder if someone
decided to just let the compressors do the mixing for them. Not the
CD's
fault I think, just the industry's abuse of the tools to make them...
I'd be interested in Goran's opinion on this.....

Enough of my rant..!

Scott

:>)