Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

Robert Hodge wrote:

> About Compression,
>
> One of my long time complaints against overly compressed audio has been
> from hearing both on FM and AM broacast, the active compressors
> broadcasters use to make their signal " louder " in relation to each
> other. To the point of being unlistenable....IMNSHO
> Compression does helps AM get more volume for the RF power involved
> without overmodulation.
>
> I wonder if the record companies aren't trying to emulate what the
> broadcast industry has given the public  for years ?
> Does any one of this generation really know how uncompressed audio is
> supposed to sound ? The phrases compressed and uncompressed are in this
> case not related to digital processing.
> Of course, take a music CD which already has too much compression to
> it, and run it through a agressive  broadcast level compressor and I
> don't see how AYTHING could sound acceptable !! All broadcasters aren't
> guilty of this.
>
> My 2 bits...
>
> BH

One of my major complaints for years was over-compression and stations that
fell in love with AAD CD reissues. Couldn't they hear they were broadcasting
solid tape hiss? WNED-FM was guilty of this..mind you, their TV operation for
years had the worst compressors I've ever heard (couple that with what my local
cable system added and you got sheer torture).

dl