Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex 456 - tip of the iceberg...chemistry

At 09:36 PM 6/19/2006, Scott Phillips wrote:
I second that. John has never, ever disappointed me in the 28 years I've
sent heads and/or stacks to him. They always were finished perfectly,
and on time. None of it was 'custom' work, which might be different,
still...

John's custom work is outstanding, too! He's done some really nice things for me. He actually made a from-scratch APR-16 head assembly for me which is convertible between 7-track IRIG 1/2-inch and 16-track 1/2-inch. Thanks, by the way, Scott, for the photos that helped it happen.

My favourite is the APR-5003 "Elevator Head" which holds a 4-channel 8-track head (it has 21 mil high tracks) and the head adjusts in height without changing azimuth or zenith. This allows me to look at any 21-mil section of a 1/4-inch tape. Since it is an 8-track 4-channel head, it allows me to transfer 8-track cartridges in two passes.

He did all the mounting work for my "FrankenSony" project which included a 3- and 4-track 1/2-inch head assembly and mounting some 1/2-inch 2-track heads in what had been a 1/4-inch head assembly.

I subsequently found a second 1/2-inch 2-track complete assembly, so now I can even dub in the analogue domain in this format!

Cheers,

Richard