From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 7:36 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex 456 - tip of the iceberg...chemistry

Second that and then some. I've said this before on the Ampex list but
it probably bears repeating here. The one thing that the vast majority
of tape deck restorers should not cut corners on is getting the heads
done right. And, the vast majority of people are not qualified to mess
with this.
So, revel in the great deal you got on that used tape deck but then open
your wallet to get the heads done right. John French has done great work
several times over for me, and he's a heck of a nice guy with tons of
knowledge that is freely dispensed. In the midwest, Tony Pretto at IEM
also does great work and also has a ton of knowledge given freely.

-- Tom Fine