[ARSCLIST] Repairing (or purchasing) a Uher

The University of Chicago Language Laboratories and Archives has four old Uhers (4xxx models) (used by various faculty in the field). None of them works, but two of them seemed repairable. I sent them out at the end of last year and got them back a week or so ago. Apart from personal problems for the proprietor, there was a delay in getting parts from Germany--and then only one machine was actually "repaired". I put it that way because, when it came back, it still did not work properly. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get this repaired? I need the 1 7/8 ips (and would like to have the 15/16 and 3 3/4 ips) for some of the tapes in the archive.

I have looked on eBay. Prices seemed good (but I was delayed on bidding due to questions of who will pay!), but I have never used eBay and don't have a sense of whether I will actually get something that works. Does anyone have any suggestions? of alternatives?

Barbara

Barbara Need
Manager (SS4), Computer Support, Archivist