Re: [ARSCLIST] Repairing (or purchasing) a Uher

Language Laboratories and Archives wrote:
The University of Chicago Language Laboratories and Archives has four old Uhers (4xxx models) (used by various faculty in the field). None of them works, but two of them seemed repairable. I sent them out at the end of last year and got them back a week or so ago. Apart from personal problems for the proprietor, there was a delay in getting parts from Germany--and then only one machine was actually "repaired". I put it that way because, when it came back, it still did not work properly. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get this repaired? I need the 1 7/8 ips (and would like to have the 15/16 and 3 3/4 ips) for some of the tapes in the archive.

I had my Uher repaired several years ago by the only recognized shop in Southern California (hence, probably the only one west of the Mississippi). It took some time and was costly, but the worst part was that they told me: never again. Parts availability was the killer, but I gathered that too few techs knew how to deal with the rather cantankerous machine.

May I suggest checking on a replacement for 1 7/8 and giving up on 15/16? Tandbergs are not the most durable machines around, but their weakness has been alignment, not repair, and many shops can handle that or you can acquire the modest skills needed. Models from the 6 on were quite good at 1 7/8 and very fine indeed at 3 3/4.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/