Re: [ARSCLIST] Repairing (or purchasing) a Uher

Barbara,

The person we have used for a while, and have been happy with his work is Saul Mineroff, http://www.mineroff.com. (Hopefully he is not the one to whom you sent your machines originally!)

Good luck,

Marcos

--On Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:50 PM -0500 Language Laboratories and Archives <language-labs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The University of Chicago Language Laboratories and Archives has four old
Uhers (4xxx models) (used by various faculty in the field). None of them
works, but two of them seemed repairable. I sent them out at the end of
last year and got them back a week or so ago. Apart from personal
problems for the proprietor, there was a delay in getting parts from
Germany--and then only one machine was actually "repaired". I put it that
way because, when it came back, it still did not work properly. Does
anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get this repaired? I need
the 1 7/8 ips (and would like to have the 15/16 and 3 3/4 ips) for some
of the tapes in the archive.

I have looked on eBay. Prices seemed good (but I was delayed on bidding
due to questions of who will pay!), but I have never used eBay and don't
have a sense of whether I will actually get something that works. Does
anyone have any suggestions?  of alternatives?

Barbara

Barbara Need
Manager (SS4), Computer Support, Archivist

Marcos http://tinyurl.com/kqdbk