Re: [ARSCLIST] My response to--Re: [78-l] Viva vinyl

--- Martin Fisher <wmfisher@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What's the problem
> with getting the hole in the center of the pressing?

Halleluia - finally someone with some ears! I, too, wonder about the
golden-eared people out there who can't hear the damn tone arm going in
and out - sharp and flat.

> If the difference between copper braid and oxygen
> free silver platinum nichrome tonearm leads can be detected how can
> the slow wow in a 25.00 to 30.00 pressing of Strauss' "Also Sprach
> Zarathustra" be ignored?

Ha!
> I don't see turntable manufacturers offering removable spindles yet!!

I had a Dual once that had a spindle that you could move side-to-side a
little and thus center the grooves if they weren't too bad.

> And don't even get me started on the so called "preservation" and
> reissue projects that are being carried out without regard to the off
> center issue....

Yes! I was told of one reissue person who, when told of his transfer
with badly off-center grooves, could absolutely not hear what the
problem was. Just a little drives me nuts. All my LPs have enlarged
holes so I can get the grooves centered - Yes, ALL of them. I've never
seen one that is perfect.

Cheers,
Lani