To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] My response to--Re: [78-l] Viva vinyl

--- Martin Fisher <wmfisher@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

What's the problem
with getting the hole in the center of the pressing?

Halleluia - finally someone with some ears! I, too, wonder about the golden-eared people out there who can't hear the damn tone arm going in and out - sharp and flat.

If the difference between copper braid and oxygen
free silver platinum nichrome tonearm leads can be detected how can
the slow wow in a 25.00 to 30.00 pressing of Strauss' "Also Sprach
Zarathustra" be ignored?

Ha!
I don't see turntable manufacturers offering removable spindles yet!!

I had a Dual once that had a spindle that you could move side-to-side a little and thus center the grooves if they weren't too bad.

And don't even get me started on the so called "preservation" and
reissue projects that are being carried out without regard to the off
center issue....

Yes! I was told of one reissue person who, when told of his transfer with badly off-center grooves, could absolutely not hear what the problem was. Just a little drives me nuts. All my LPs have enlarged holes so I can get the grooves centered - Yes, ALL of them. I've never seen one that is perfect.

Cheers,
Lani