Re: [ARSCLIST] My response to--Re: [78-l] Viva vinyl

Playing cylinders which have gone out of round, on old equipment which
have NO adjustment for correcting it, makes it unbearable for me.

Having an archeophone available to me is indeed a pleasure .

Ditto for reaming spindle holes on LP's- someday I will remove the
spindle from my turntable and turn it down on a lathe.

Best !

Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

--- Martin Fisher <wmfisher@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What's the problem
> with getting the hole in the center of the pressing?

Halleluia - finally someone with some ears! I, too, wonder about the
golden-eared people out there who can't hear the damn tone arm going
in
and out - sharp and flat.

> If the difference between copper braid and oxygen
> free silver platinum nichrome tonearm leads can be detected how can
> the slow wow in a 25.00 to 30.00 pressing of Strauss' "Also Sprach
> Zarathustra" be ignored?

Ha!
> I don't see turntable manufacturers offering removable spindles
yet!!

I had a Dual once that had a spindle that you could move side-to-side
little and thus center the grooves if they weren't too bad.

> And don't even get me started on the so called "preservation" and
> reissue projects that are being carried out without regard to the
off
> center issue....

Yes! I was told of one reissue person who, when told of his transfer
with badly off-center grooves, could absolutely not hear what the
problem was. Just a little drives me nuts. All my LPs have enlarged
holes so I can get the grooves centered - Yes, ALL of them. I've never
seen one that is perfect.

Cheers,
Lani