Re: [ARSCLIST] Dual Cassette conundrum

At 03:57 PM 6/6/2006, Klara Foeller wrote:
Hello all,

Our oral historian just called me to tell me that his 12 year old, Sony TC-WR545 dual cassette recorder is not recording Channel 2. The player module is reading the second channel audio, but the recording module isn't. My dam silly idea was that a capstan might be dirty somewhere, but other than that lame suggestion, I have no idea what's with the machine. I did ask if he had a manual (of course not) and suggested an upgrade of equipment.

Any bright ideas anyone?

Hello, Klara,

Sadly over the last 15 years or so, it seems the quality of the available cassette machines has fallen.

I would look for a good player and a CD writer to replace the cassette copying. Cassettes are a dying format.

Tascam has a good CD writer from what I understand. (Even the one I liked was discontinued by Sony--stand-alone CD writers are also semi-endangered it seems.)

A really good cassette playback machine is a much harder choice. I use Nakamichi Dragons and they do sound wonderful, and you think you're getting as much as possible off the tape. Again, there are offerings still in the Tascam lineup, and I would look there.

There might still be a dual-well Tascam.

But, I would get a Dragon or two off eBay, have it serviced, and get a pair of the Tascam CD writers and every time you wanted to copy a cassette, make two CD-R copies on gold phthalocyanine dye discs.

You could put a computer in the process, but there is more of a learning curve to that.

Cheers,

Richard