To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] S-S-S and tape baking

In a message dated 6/4/2006 12:20:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

One question comes to mind from your post. Did I understand you to say you
dubbed these tapes
previously? If so, why not make MP3 out of the dub media? I doubt anyone will
tell much difference
with spoken word content in MP3 format.

-- Tom Fine
-------------

I don't have convenient access to the cassettes and some of the material is
very high quality, while other needs every bit of help it can get to maintain
intelligibility.

The originals are still available, with everything from FT 7-1/2", to 1/4
track mono all speeds mixed on the reel, hence the need for an intermediate for
editing, which was half track scissors and tape, some at 15"/s to remove
extraneous uhs and noises. Of course digital editing would make this easier, but
also would be a temptation for even more extensive (and time consuming) editing.
I'm trying to avoid that by using the same tapes again.

Mike Csontos