Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [78-l] British copyright laws

In a message dated 4/21/2006 10:41:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Perhaps we could return to the long-discontinued system in which
both Victor and HMV would, for a not-too-large price, press you a
copy of ANYTHING for which they still held the stamper...

I think that already more music is being distributed as "custom pressings" to
Ipods than by any other means.

It costs so little to maintain the digital files, which they would do anyway,
that selling access to even rarely used ones, will be profitable. This would
be a significant motivation for maintaining perpetual rights.

The problem is in enforcing those rights on material that is not being
maintained by commercial interests. That material will be lost if it is not possible
to freely copy and distribute it.

Mike Csontos