Re: [ARSCLIST] Delaminating tape article

At 06:25 AM 4/1/2006, Tom Fine wrote:
The bottom photo seems to show dark char-like coloring on the bottom side of both hubs. Is that just the light in the room? If not, that and the dark spot on the housing indicate some sort of heat problem, in which case all bets are off. The tape looks like it had a bad life, so I'd put my money on it not being a common problem. Good you were able to transfer part of it.

Good point, Tom, but I just added this to the article:

Note, in the above photo, the colour of the pancakes on the hubs appear to shift colur. The oxide coating is probably dual layer and the brown side attaches to the base film while the black side faces the head. The colour shift in the photo is related to this and the angle of the camera, I believe.

Tape Restoration Seminar: MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.