Re: [ARSCLIST] Delaminating tape article

The bottom photo seems to show dark char-like coloring on the bottom side of both hubs. Is that just the light in the room? If not, that and the dark spot on the housing indicate some sort of heat problem, in which case all bets are off. The tape looks like it had a bad life, so I'd put my money on it not being a common problem. Good you were able to transfer part of it.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 11:01 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Delaminating tape article

I thought you good folks would enjoy the latest adventure in cassette purgatory. DELAMINATION.

I invite your comments.

http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/03/31/project-notes-advanced-oxide-delamination-of-a-cassette/

Is this what we can expect in years to come? Any idea of the cause? Benoit? Bill?

Hopefully this is a one-off.

Cheers???

Richard

Tape Restoration Seminar: MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.