Re: [ARSCLIST] Further thoughts on the new CLIR report. DVDs

At 08:45 PM 3/25/2006, steven c wrote:

Question for the technically knowledgeable...

Since CD's and DVD's are (AFAIK) more or less the "same animal" and
operate by pressing (or "burning") pits into the surface of a plastic
disc, why should there be any difference in the lifespan of the two?

Do the littler "holes" fill themselves up more rapidly?

There is one major difference in construction. The CD has the delicate top layer that is the reflective layer covered with lacquer.

The DVD's reflective layer is in the middle and the two discs are bonded together. That bond is a source of concern.

The CD-Rs that seem to fare best in tests use phthalocyanine dye. I think Joe Iraci pointed out that the DVDs do not use that dye. That could contribute to the lower life expectancy.

I don't know why phthalocyanine dye cannot be used in DVD-Rs, but apparently it cannot. The gold DVD-Rs from MAM-A, by the way, are only 4x while almost everyone is shipping silver 8x and perhaps faster.

Cheers,

Richard

Tape Restoration Seminar: MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.