Re: [ARSCLIST] 120 minute tapes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
> Is the leader loose from the tape or is the tape brokenn?  This is a comon
> problem and a regular repair for anyone copying cassettes to CDs
> professionaly.  Some on this list do that work, myself included.

I've had cassettes that players weren't able to move...mainly because
cassette players are set to shut off when the effort needed to move
the tape goes beyond a certain point, on the assumption they have
reached the end of the tape. Try moving the tape manually (IIRC,
Bic pens fit neatly in the hub centres without slipping) and see
if that can be done...then try pulling on each end of the exposed
tape, which will tell you which hub won't turn (assuming you
couldn't move the tape manually). When you have identified which
hub won't move (or establish it is both of them)...since you have
already had the shell open, open it again and carefully examine
the bearing surfaces (the parts that rub together as the tape
turns...or WOULD if it did) looking for rough or damaged surfaces
which stop the hub(s) from turning. Remember that cassette reels
don't run on axles...they are shaped to allow the reel to turn
while keeping it in place.

If it is a matter of lubrication, someone who knows more about
that than I do may take over from here...