Re: [ARSCLIST] Th Future of Collecting

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> The dumpster was the destination for a couple of thousand 78s in Erie PA
last
> summer. A lot of stuff in decent condition, but finding homes for Perry
Como,
> Dorothy Shay, Vaughn Monroe and common dance band stuff even in pristine
condition
> isn't a snap when the owner of the house is moving to Texas and the
dumpster costs
> $300 a day. I took several hundred 78s that I wanted (free!)..offered to
make a few
> phone calls to see if anyone else wanted to come over and help themselves,
but
> unless they could get there that DAY the stuff was going byebyes. At that
point I
> started emptying all the good albums.
>
> As for collections I've picked up that represented people's life's work,
or
> donations of beautiful accumulations to institutions, I now own most of
the Bill
> Givens collection (big band and popular) and a substantial chunk of the
Carnegie
> Collection and other donations that had been at Hobart-William Smith
College in
> Geneva NY, as well as a number of private collections in the Toronto area.

Well, as always, I'll take any "leftovers"...except I don't have a
way to MOVE the dommed things!

If nothing else, I could wind up with a complete set of all 78 records
issued 1940-1954...I got a good start on that with DK's leftovers!

...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/