Re: [ARSCLIST] CF recorders and mic pre quality

It doesn't inspire much confidence, but if you want to go really really cheap ($150), there is this ikey thingy from Gemini, which supposedly records 16-bit wav right into a USB drive (or iPod):

<http://www.ikey-audio.com/ikey.htm>

You would need mic preamps. M-audio makes decent ones for the price. Although I don't know this one, it is $80 for two channels:

<http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/AudioBuddy-main.html>

A bit awkward, and probably not recommended for that once-in-a-lifetime recording. We'll see what users say. You probably get what you pay for...

There are decent and relatively inexpensive (~$500) mic preamps out there from Sound Devices <http://sounddevices.com/products/index.html#preamps>, Studio Projects <http://studioprojects.com/vtb1.html>, and FMR <http://fmraudio.com/RNP8380.htm>, as well as others. ART is a popular brand, but I haven't loved their little tube preamps <http://www.artroch.com/>.

Marcos