Re: [ARSCLIST] CF recorders and mic pre quality

In a message dated 2/24/06 8:11:10 PM, mahatma57@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> My roommate is looking to buy a CF recording device to record his piano
> playing with, and is considering the Marantz PMD671 because the preamps are
> reportedly much improved, but given Marantz' track record, I wonder. Anyone
> have experience with these units?
> He is a bit put off by the price of the unit and is asking my advice about
> buying this unit or a cheaper one with an external mic pre.
> Any thoughts on Price vs quality?

Tough one, Matt. The price issue will make it impossible to get a decent
Mic-pre and a CF recorder for less than the 671 (its around 700, if I recall).
Maybe you should buy one with a return privilege and give it a try - piano is
tough and needs a pre with very good transient response, which also brings up the
issue of mics. What is he using?

Joe P.