Re: [ARSCLIST] Telefunken & DGG

Dear All,
    I should like to contribute a few addenda to this discussion.
    The British Library Sound Archive has a large collection of
twelve-inch 78s of material known as "The German Radio Collection." But
my personal belief (which I cannot prove) is that it may be something
rather different.
    The discs were undoubtedly pressed in the DGG factory (in Hanover, I
think), and each side has a plain white label three inches in diameter.
Just occasionally, one can see that the physical label comprises a
Polydor label upside-down, because ink has leached from another label in
the pile before it dried.
    When I was working for the BBC, their archive had transferred
historically-significant items from these discs, which then came to the
British Library Sound Archive.
    I think that these pressings were made at the Polydor factory
essentially as shellac one-offs, before the metal was recycled. One has
fantasies about the forces invading Germany on their way to Berlin,
using their arms to force DGG/Polydor workers to press off one copy of
each matrix, in anticipation of the Nuremburg Trials.
    My experience with pre-war Polydor discs suggests the disc mastering
was done at the DGG-Polydor studios. The groove-pitches, the
groove-to-land ratio, and the shape of the grooves themselves are all
consistent with that theory. I therefore fantasise that the Third Reich
wished to immortalise itself by using the best archival techniques
available before the Second World War broke out.
Peter Copeland
Former Conservation Manager,
British Library Sound Archive