Re: [ARSCLIST] Deejays--was: Brunswick Records rights/Universal

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Bob Olhsson wrote:

> Most truly great popular music has been somewhat controversial with some
people loving it and others hating it. The deejay held on to listeners long
enough for everybody to hear another record they loved. When you remove the
deejay from the equation, any negative  response (the marketing bozos call
it "polarizing") becomes a problem ratings-wise. The solution is removing
every bit of music that offends anybody within the target audience. The
result of this is contemporary music radio that is little better than
background music being used to sort audiences into demographic groups for
advertisers.

Not unlike magazine publishing where the purpose of the magazine is to
sell advertizing.

However, let us keep in mind, advertizing budgets help keep the world
functioning. Come to think of it, I wonder why we don't have some of the
greats from advertizing on postage stamps.

As for libraries and archives...I still think ads are the way to
go..."These tranfers of the Bettini Cylinders are being brought to you by
Chef Boyardee."

Karl