Re: [ARSCLIST] Brunswick Records rights/Universal

steven c wrote:

Not being a lawyer, I can't say for sure...but I suspect it was because
the recordings were originally cut in the UK, and if over 50 years old
were p.d. in that country. I don't know enough about international
copyright law to say whether or not that makes them p.d. in the US
as well...but, as I understand it, the basis for the suit was that
EMI had reissued the same material (taken from recordings in their
own archive)...?

Per the CLIR paper, whether the recording is PD in its country of origin is not altogether irrelevant, but copyright may be restored (which appears to be a passive verb in this case) even if it does not apply where created, published, or darn near anything else.

I strongly urge anyone addressing these questions to spend some time with CLIR 135; it may be depressing, but it comes close to mandatory reading - and it is nearly readable by mere human beings!

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/