Re: [ARSCLIST] Deejays--was: Brunswick Records rights/Universal

Mike Richter wrote:

Fishy? I can't say, but there are stations in the rural United States that are manned only by an engineer. Local weather (and what news they cannot avoid) are supplied by a regional studio. I have seen reports of listeners surprised to discover that their 'local' newscaster was tens or hundreds of miles away - and was equally local to several other stations in the region.

The local deejay is losing ground to the national as well as to recorded announcements.

Mike

Yep, and it's been happening for decades. I worked for a station in the late 70's that turned transmitter control to the local sheriff's department at certain times during the weekends and over night. We were completely automated during those hours, of course. There was no one at the station at all. Those were the days when it was required that transmitter readings be recorded on a regular schedule.

Then there was satellite programming which gained in popularity in the early 80's. If you were listening to a DJ in Illinois who gave an 800 number for requests, it was guaranteed that DJ was not local, usually Texas or Minnesota or... depending on the format.

I don't think I have to point out how dangerous this all was for the American public who still thought they could rely on the Emergency Broadcast System.

At least, now with Sirius and XM the listener knows the Jock isn't local.

And no one has mentioned Clear Channel. The devil of the industry (music and radio).

Angie Dickinson Mickle
Avocado Productions
Arvada, CO
www.avocadoproductions.com

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 267.14.23/243 - Release Date: 1/27/2006