Re: [ARSCLIST] [OffList] creating access cd's

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> steven c wrote:
>
> > Okeh...now what I need is a shellac press and a recipe for the compound
> > used with it...
>
> '78-rpm' discs are still being pressed - but on vinyl, not on 'shellac'.
> I wonder whether the recipes still exist, though I doubt that there
> would be any reason (other than authenticity) to prefer it.

At least one good reason...when a shellac disc is exposed to heat, it
simply becomes soft enough to bend (and can be bent back to its original
shape by reheating it)...OTOH the vinyl disc deforms through expansion
and can't be de-warped!

Also, shellac records could survive being played on early machines with
substantial tracking pressures...not true of vinyl!

In fact, I have shellac records a century and more old that show no
evidence of deterioration...
Steven C. Barr
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/
(which is more than I can say for myself...!)