Re: [ARSCLIST] [OffList] creating access cd's

At 10:34 AM 1/26/2006, you wrote:
Please define "Access CDs"

Aren't these the ones you swipe in the reader as you try and enter gov't buildings <smile>.

Couldn't resist.

I'm glad you asked...because from some of the posts I think there may be some confusion. Here is what I think it is without further qualification...

Audio (red book) CDs that are available for general patron use under the normal terms of such use for sound recordings (i.e. listened to in the listening room, taken home, etc).

They are nothing more than a disposable copy of the asset. This distinguishes them from a preservation copy which is a surrogate for the real original which is decaying or may become unplayable for other reasons.

You can have more than one access copy and you can have more than one preservation copy.

The access copy is essentially sacrificial - it gets used and cared for, but if something bad happens, who really cares.

The preservation copies are used only for making additional access copies.

Preservation copies don't have to be Red Book CDs even if the access copies are.

Cheers,

Richard