Re: [ARSCLIST] creating access cd's

Please define "Access CDs"

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] creating access cd's

On 25/01/06, Angie Dickinson Mickle wrote:
Lou Judson wrote:
Well, I have been a professional in audio for 40 years, and started
digital on Macs with Protoools in 1995. If you are aware of things
like using dedicated drives for audio, not recording to your startup
drives, how to maintain digital audio purity by avoiding destructive
operations, and the like you'll be fine. It seems that none of the
windows audio people ever mention any of this!

Maybe it isn't mentioned because we "windows audio people" consider it common knowledge. For someone new to digital recording, it may not be.

A drive used for only audio doesn't necessarily have to be an external
drive, just another drive in the system other than the C drive.

A physically different drive, not just another partition on the same drive as C:

It is IMO best also to keep programs on a separate partition, not in C:
- but this can be on the same physical drive.

One of the biggest nuisances in Windows is that you cannot simply back
up C: in any simple way. Being used to the Amigas, where you can simply
copy all the files on the system partition to a CD, I find this
tiresome.

 I've
been using ide and scsi drives to record multi-track audio since 1995.
It has only been in the last few years that I started using firewire.
And that has really only been for convenience.

Regards -- Don Cox doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 267.14.22/239 - Release Date: 1/24/2006